Basic Sushi Rice. Here is my recipe for the perfect sushi rice. You can eat this alone or roll into your favorite sushi roll with ingredients of choice. I use strips of carrots, cucumbers and slices of avocado. "Perfect sushi starts with perfect rice.
It is soft and sticky* and keeps its shape when cooked. Further it has more taste the more you chew, and also has a sweetness to it. Sushi would not be sushi without great rice. You can cook Basic Sushi Rice using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Basic Sushi Rice
- It’s 600 mL of uncooked short grain rice.
- It’s 600 mL of cold water.
- It’s 5 cm of Kombu kelp.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of sugar : (A).
- You need 60 mL of rice vinegar : (A).
- It’s 1 tbsp of salt : (A).
Anyone can boil rice, but to make really good sushi you will need the right kind of rice, cooked the right way, and properly seasoned. When training to be a master sushi chef…wait, wait don't click out yet, I promise this sushi rice recipe doesn't require five years of sifting through grain and kissing butt. You can do it in five easy steps. And I hope you agree, there's nothing like real authentic home cooked food.
Basic Sushi Rice step by step
- Rinse the rice and soak it for about 1 hour..
- Put the rice in a pot or a rice cooker. Pour some water then put the Kombu kelp in it..
- Cook the rice..
- Prepare Sushi vinegar. Mix condiments (A) and stir to dissolve the sugar..
- Transfer the cooked rice into a very large bowl. Gently flatten out the rice and then sprinkle the Sushi vinegar evenly over the hot rice. Leave them for 1 minute..
- Combine the rice and the Sushi vinegar using a side-to-side cutting motion followed by a folding motion with a rice paddle. At the same time, you need to use a fan to cool rice. This process helps the excess liquid evaporate quickly, which gives the rice a shine and prevents it from getting mushy..
- When each grain is very shiny and the surface is no longer wet and slippery, the Sushi rice is ready. Keep the rice covered with a damp towel until ready to use..
If you have ever made sushi at home you know the rice is the tricky part. Not that it is difficult, just takes the right amount of water, the right cooking time and the rice vinegar mixture makes all the. This authentic sushi rice recipe is easy to make at home. Follow my basic tutorial for perfect sushi In Japan, sushi rice means the steamed rice that's flavored with vinegar-based seasonings and we. Sushi rice (called shari by sushi chefs) is rice that is flavored with dashi, rice vinegar, and salt.