Kimbap (Korean-style Sushi Rolls). Kimbap—also known as gimbap—are Korean rice rolls that might look a lot like sushi but in truth are nothing like it. Japanese sushi is made out of rice seasoned with vinegar and customarily features raw fish, seafood, and vegetables, whereas Korean rolls use sesame oil in the rice and a variety of fillings. A popular Korean picnic food – Easy kimbap (Korean sushi roll) recipe!
It's a popular picnic and party food. Gimbap (or kimbap) is the most popular on-the-go meal in Korea! Try them yourself and be prepared to fall in love with these delicious Korean rice rolls. You can cook Kimbap (Korean-style Sushi Rolls) using 15 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Kimbap (Korean-style Sushi Rolls)
- Prepare 2 of sheets ■ Nori seaweed.
- It’s 1 dash of ■ Sesame oil.
- Prepare 1 of serving ◇ Plain steamed rice.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of ◇ Sesame oil.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ◇ Salt.
- It’s 1 tbsp of ◇ White sesame seeds.
- You need 1 of ◆ Egg.
- Prepare 1 pinch of ◆ Salt.
- You need 1 of Carrot.
- Prepare 1 of Spinach.
- Prepare 1 of Takuwan (yellow pickled radish).
- It’s 50 grams of Minced meat.
- It’s 1 dash of Sesame oil.
- Prepare 1 of Bottled yakiniku sauce.
- You need 1 of Salt yakiniku sauce.
There are many variations of gimbap these days, but the best one for me is classic gimbap my mother used to make for us on our field trip/picnic days. Gimbap (김밥) is a classic Korean sushi rolls. This Korean kimbap recipe is not only delicious, but also colorful and healthy food! Gimbap is a popular Korean style sushi roll.
Kimbap (Korean-style Sushi Rolls) instructions
- Cut the nori in half. Apply a thin coat of sesame oil to each side and heat lightly (or use Korean nori if available)..
- Beat an egg, season with salt, and make a flat pancake. Cut into 5 mm strips..
- Julienne the carrots to 5 mm thickness. Boil and mix with salt yakiniku sauce (normal yakiniku sauce is fine)..
- Blanch the spinach, squeeze out the water, and mix with the yakiniku sauce..
- Julienne the takuwan pickles into 5 mm thickness..
- Brown the beef in sesame oil. Flavor with yakiniku sauce..
- Add sesame oil, salt, and white sesame seeds to warm rice and mix..
- Spread the nori on a sushi mat (outer side facing down). Spread a thin layer of rice. Leave the top 1.5 cm uncovered. Make sure the bottom is well-covered..
- Center the meat..
- On top of the meat, layer with the eggs, spinach (excess liquid squeezed out), carrots and takuwan (one stick each)..
- Start rolling from the bottom. Squeezing with both hands, roll from edge to edge, like this picture. Here, I'm squeezing lightly..
- Roll in the leftover nori edge. Place that edge on the bottom..
- Once the roll is secured, slice into whatever thickness you like..
Gim means dried seaweed sheet (nori). Carrot, eggs, garlic, ground beef, kim, rice, salt, sesame oil, skirt steak, soy sauce, spinach, sugar, vegetable oil, yellow pickled radish. Korean and Japanese people would flip if they saw you calling kimbap sushi. The main difference is sushi rice is vinegared so lightly sour, and kimbap rice uses sesame oil so is slightly sweet (fillings differ as well). How to make Kimbap – Korean Seaweed Rice Roll.