California Rolls. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado.
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Doing A Give Away (Free Sushi Knife!)- All you Have to do Is Subscribe, Like and comment saying done! How to make delicious California rolls. You can have California Rolls using 8 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of California Rolls
- It’s 1 cup of Japanese short or medium grain rice.
- You need 1 cup of cold water.
- Prepare 5 Tbsp of Sushi Vinegar.
- It’s 1/2 lb of Imitation crab meat.
- It’s 1 of Avocado, ripe but still firm, cut into slices.
- Prepare 1/2 of medium cucumber, peeled and sliced into long julienne strips.
- Prepare of Toasted Nori Seaweed.
- Prepare of Toasted sesame seeds.
Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal. You can use real or imitation crab.
California Rolls instructions
- Wash the rice with cold water until the water runs clear. soak for 30 minutes, drain, add water and cook on medium to low flame until water is completely absorbed, remove rice in a large bowl breaking lumps and let it cool slightly; add vinegar and mix for vinegar to coat evenly and set aside..
- For assembly, wrap sushi mat with cling foil, split Nori into half, place on mat, evenly spread a generous handful of rice to cover the entire nori sheet and flip over, place filling across the center of nori, start rolling using mat to keep the roll in place; apply pressure to tighten the roll, once complete sprinkle sesame seeds and cut, serve with spicy mayonnaise or wasabi and soy sauce..
California Rolls – American-Style Sushi Rolls. Making California Rolls at home is easy to do. I did a large amount of reading on how to make sushi rolls before attempting my first ones. The origin of the California roll is highly debatable. Some say it was invented in Los Angeles, while others claim it was actually invented in Canada.