California Rolls (with Tips on Cutting the Rolls). There's some debate over who invented the California, which several chefs in Los Angeles California claiming to be the inventor including Ichiro Mashita, and Ken Seusa. More recently, Hidekazu Tojo who ran a restaurant in Vancouver, Canada, has laid claim to. Now we are ready to roll the California roll.
When the starting edge of the roll touches the seaweed (nori), start pulling the plastic sheet and rolling mat away from the sushi roll, because you do not. The California roll is one of the most favored sushi rolls and has been credited with popularizing Using the tip of the knife, slice avocado halves vertically and then once horizontally down the middle. Wipe a knife with a wet cloth before slicing sushi. You can cook California Rolls (with Tips on Cutting the Rolls) using 8 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of California Rolls (with Tips on Cutting the Rolls)
- Prepare 360 ml of White rice.
- It’s 2 cm of square Kombu.
- You need 4 tbsp of Sushi vinegar.
- You need 4 of sheets Sushi seaweed.
- You need 100 grams of Smoked salmon.
- You need 1 of Avocado.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of Cream cheese.
- It’s 1 of Sesame seeds.
The California roll is made with crab meat, either cooked crab or imitation crab meat, plus avocado and cucumber. You'll watch Hitoshi carefully prepare the ingredients and make a sushi roll that's as beautiful as it is delicious. He'll also reveal the tricks to making great sushi rice. California Roll or California Maki is a sushi roll that is made inside out.
California Rolls (with Tips on Cutting the Rolls) step by step
- <Making sushi rice> Cook 2 rice cooker cups of rice with water and konbu seaweed..
- Once the rice is cooked, transfer to a bowl or sushi oke (wooden bowl for sushi), and fold the sushi vinegar into the rice using a cutting motion..
- If you've used a bowl, transfer the mixed sushi rice to a flat plate and let cool. (This prevents moisture from collecting in the bottom of the bowl.).
- Meanwhile, cut the filling ingredients and put them on a plate..
- Cut the nori seaweed sheet into two-thirds. The rolls will be very thick if you use the whole sheet..
- On a sushi rolling mat, lay a nori seaweed sheet and spread out the sushi rice over the nori seaweed. Make sure all 4 corners are fully covered..
- Leave the sushi rolling mat, and transfer the nori seaweed and the sushi rice to a plate..
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap on the sushi rolling mat, and place the nori seaweed and sushi rice from earlier with the nori seaweed side up. Flip the plate slowly to position them neatly..
- Arrange the filling ingredients in the center of the seaweed. Put the avocado slices on the bottom side of the filling section. This way the salmon and cream cheese will keep the avocado from moving while rolling up..
- Roll it up using the sushi rolling mat. Be careful not to squeeze it too tightly..
- <Tips for rolling California rolls> When rolling up, bring the bottom end of the nori seaweed to the red dotted line shown in the picture so the sushi rice will act as a glue..
- Once the ingredients are rolled up, remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle the sesame seeds. Wrap the roll again with the plastic wrap and set aside for about 15 minutes..
- <Tips for cutting California rolls> To prevent the rolls from breaking apart, cut them with the plastic wrap on. Tilt the knife and slice slowly..
- <Tips for cutting California rolls> Moisten the knife with a wet towel before each slice so the cross section of the sushi roll will look neat..
- Once the rolls are cut, gently remove the plastic wrap..
- On a platter, carefully arrange the sushi rolls one by one, and it's done!.
Crabstick, avocado, and cucumber are placed in the center of the nori while the flattened sushi rice with sesame seeds is on the opposite part. This is then rolled using a bamboo mat and pressed to maintain the shape. Try your hand at rolling these delicious California rolls – it's easier than you think. Using the mat or baking paper as a guide, roll up. Repeat with remaining nori and fillings.