California Rolls. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado.
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Doing A Give Away (Free Sushi Knife!)- All you Have to do Is Subscribe, Like and comment saying done! How to make delicious California rolls. You can have California Rolls using 6 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of California Rolls
- Prepare 1 1/2 of bowlful Sushi rice.
- You need 1/2 of sheet Nori seaweed.
- Prepare 4 slice of Avocado.
- You need 1/4 of cut lengthwise Cucumber.
- You need 1 of Imitation crab sticks.
- Prepare 1 of Toasted sesame seeds.
Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal. You can use real or imitation crab.
California Rolls step by step
- Cover your sushi mat (both sides) with plastic wrap..
- Don't worry about wasting plastic – cover it up securely so that the sushi mat doesn't stick out from the sides or shift around. Use 2 sheets if it's not wide enough..
- Fold the nori sheet in half to separate. Cut the crab sticks lengthwise so that the red part is evenly distributed on both pieces. Remove the pit from the avocado and cut it into 12 lengthwise wedges..
- Remove the stem end of the cucumber, and slice it into fourths. Remove any seeds..
- Lay a sheet of nori horizontally. Evenly spread the sushi rice. Make a mounded lip on the edge of the far-side..
- Quickly flip over the nori and sushi rice. Make sure the lip remains on the far-side. Line the near-side of the nori and rice to the edge of your sushi mat..
- Place 2 slices of the avocado on the center, then place the imitation crab sticks on top with the red side facing downwards. You can also use 4 slices of avocado if you'd like..
- Roll it up from the front as you press the ingredients together. You can see in this photo that I forgot to line the rice to the edge of my sushi mat..
- When you finish wrapping, the end of the sushi mat should meet the lip of the rice. So, press the rice of the lip slightly until any excess sticks out. This serves as a glue..
- Remove the end of the sushi mat. Roll the sushi roll and squeeze tightly to secure the rice together. Now roll the sushi again to shape..
- Sprinkle the roasted sesame seeds on top..
- Leave it in a cool place for a while, then slice into sixths. The result will look nicer if you wipe your knife with a damp cloth between each slice..
California Rolls – American-Style Sushi Rolls. Making California Rolls at home is easy to do. I did a large amount of reading on how to make sushi rolls before attempting my first ones. The origin of the California roll is highly debatable. Some say it was invented in Los Angeles, while others claim it was actually invented in Canada.