California Rolls. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado.
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Doing A Give Away (Free Sushi Knife!)- All you Have to do Is Subscribe, Like and comment saying done! How to make delicious California rolls. You can cook California Rolls using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of California Rolls
- Prepare 360 ml of White rice.
- Prepare 1 of "Sushi-no-ko" (powdered sushi vinegar).
- It’s 1 of Dried seaweed paper (use 1/2 large sheet).
- Prepare 1 of Avocado.
- Prepare 1 of Smoked salmon.
- You need 2 packages of Imitation crab sticks.
- Prepare 1 of Mayonnaise.
- It’s 1 dash of Salt.
- Prepare 1 of Plastic wrap.
- It’s 1 of Sushi mat.
- It’s 1 of Sesame (as a substitute for salmon).
- Prepare 1 of Flying fish roe (as a substitute for salmon).
Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal. You can use real or imitation crab.
California Rolls step by step
- Finely chop the imitation crab and season it with a generous amount of mayonnaise, and salt. It should be flavored enough for it to be good with rice..
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and cut into strips..
- Spread the rice mixed with "sushi-no-ko" on top of 1/2 a sheet of seaweed paper. Lay a plastic wrap on top and flip it over all together..
- Lay a sushi mat under Step 3. Place the avocado and imitation crab and roll it like a regular futomaki (fat roll)..
- After rolling, peel the plastic wrap off once and lay the smoked salmon on top. Wrap together and shape the roll using the sushi mat..
- Once you cut the roll (over the plastic wrap), you're finished! I recommend using flying fish roe or sesame seeds as a substitute for salmon too!.
California Rolls – American-Style Sushi Rolls. Making California Rolls at home is easy to do. I did a large amount of reading on how to make sushi rolls before attempting my first ones. The origin of the California roll is highly debatable. Some say it was invented in Los Angeles, while others claim it was actually invented in Canada.