California Rolls. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado.
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Doing A Give Away (Free Sushi Knife!)- All you Have to do Is Subscribe, Like and comment saying done! How to make delicious California rolls. You can cook California Rolls using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of California Rolls
- You need 1 of bowlful Cooked rice (sushi rice).
- Prepare 1 of sheet Nori seaweed.
- It’s 1 of Flying fish roe.
- It’s 1 of Sesame seeds.
- Prepare of Filling ingredients (cut into the same lengths as the width of the nori seaweed).
- It’s 1 piece of of 1-cm-thickness Cucumber.
- Prepare 1 piece of of 1-cm-thickness Thick tamagoyaki (rolled omelette).
- Prepare 1 piece of of 1-cm-thickness Salmon (or crab stick).
- It’s 1/8 of cut lengthways Avocado.
- Prepare 1 of Red leaf lettuce.
- Prepare of Garnishes (optional).
- It’s 1 of Pickled ginger in sweet vinegar.
- You need 1 of Daikon radish sprouts.
Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal. You can use real or imitation crab.
California Rolls instructions
- Preparation: Cut the filling ingredients into the same lengths as the width of nori seaweed and 1-cm-thickness. Slice the avocado in eight lengthways..
- Place a sheet of nori onto cling film and spread the rice evenly (leave a front and end border to make it easier to roll up)..
- Flip over the sushi rice on the nori seaweed onto a piece of cling film..
- Place the lettuce on first and then put on the other fillings..
- Roll the sushi from the front. Press the sushi tightly with your fingers. (Do not roll the cling film inside the sushi. When you roll, remove the cling film at the same time.).
- After rolling the sushi cover with cling film and a makisu mat. Press the sushi firmly inside the makisu mat. Leave the sushi to sit for 10 to 20 minutes to rest the rice..
- Coat the sushi with sesame seeds and flying fish roe. Use a spoon to spread the flying fish roe evenly..
- Garnish with daikon radish sprouts and serve. The hotness of the pickled ginger and daikon sprouts enhance the sushi flavour..
- My family doesn't like sushi rice so I use normal cooked rice but it is still tasty. Serve with mayonnaise and soy sauce..
- The leftover ingredients are quite colourful so use them to make 'seafood delight salad'!.
California Rolls – American-Style Sushi Rolls. Making California Rolls at home is easy to do. I did a large amount of reading on how to make sushi rolls before attempting my first ones. The origin of the California roll is highly debatable. Some say it was invented in Los Angeles, while others claim it was actually invented in Canada.