California Roll. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Vegan Roll With A Twist – How To Make Sushi Series.
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado. Although I prefer using real crab meat, if you don't have access to fresh seafood, imitation crab (a.k.a. surimi) will do in a pinch. You can have California Roll using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of California Roll
- Prepare 1 of Sushi rice.
- Prepare 1 of White sesame seeds.
- You need 1 of Flying fish roe.
- You need 2 of short sticks Cucumber.
- Prepare 2 of short strips Salmon.
- You need 1/2 of Avocado.
- It’s 1 of Mayonnaise.
- You need 1 of as much (to taste) Salmon roe.
Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal. You can use real or imitation crab.
California Roll step by step
- Put cling film on top of a sushi mat. Lay the nori seaweed on top, followed by the sushi rice. For the sesame seed version, sprinkle white sesame seeds on top of the rice, then turn it over. For the flying fish roe version, just turn it over without adding anything else..
- Put the sushi fillings on top of the seaweed side, and roll. Roll it tight, and wrap it in cling film. Let it rest in the fridge..
- For the sesame seed version, just slice the roll, top with mayonnaise and it's done..
- For the flying fish roe version, take off the cling film and spread flying fish roe all over the outside of the roll. Slice the sushi roll, top with salmon roe and it's done..
Cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap. Cut nori sheets in half crosswise. California roll is one of the most popular sushi recipes in the United States. It's a real Japanese sushi roll with sushi rice wrapped with nori (seaweed) and stuffed with cooked imitation crab meat (or real. The History of the California Roll.