California Rolls. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado.
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Doing A Give Away (Free Sushi Knife!)- All you Have to do Is Subscribe, Like and comment saying done! How to make delicious California rolls. You can have California Rolls using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of California Rolls
- Prepare 90 ml of Uncooked white rice.
- You need 1/4 of sheet Kombu.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Sushi vinegar.
- Prepare 4 slice of Salmon (for sashimi).
- You need 1/3 of Avocado.
- You need 1/4 of Cucumber.
- Prepare 1 of sheet Nori seaweed.
- Prepare 1 of White sesame seeds (roasted sesame seeds).
Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal. You can use real or imitation crab.
California Rolls step by step
- Cook the rinsed rice with konbu. When done, add sushi vinegar and mix quickly. Let it cool down..
- Cut the salmon into 1 cm wide strips. Peel the avocado and also slice into 1 cm wide strips. Julienne the cucumber into 1 cm strips..
- Lay a sheet of plastic wrap on your sushi mat. Spread a thin layer of sushi rice. On the rice, place the cucumber, salmon, and avocado..
- Place a sheet of nori on top. The key is to place the nori slightly below the top..
- Roll the plastic wrap and sushi mat tightly..
- Open up the plastic wrap. Sprinkle some white sesame seeds on the wrap. Roll the sushi around so that the sesame seeds stick to it. With the sealed side down, cut into 1 cm wide slices to finish..
- For your information, the second from the right is my California rolls. I also made char siu rolls and grilled eel rolls..
California Rolls – American-Style Sushi Rolls. Making California Rolls at home is easy to do. I did a large amount of reading on how to make sushi rolls before attempting my first ones. The origin of the California roll is highly debatable. Some say it was invented in Los Angeles, while others claim it was actually invented in Canada.