California Rolls. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado.
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Doing A Give Away (Free Sushi Knife!)- All you Have to do Is Subscribe, Like and comment saying done! How to make delicious California rolls. You can cook California Rolls using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of California Rolls
- You need 1 of ●Avocado.
- It’s 6 slice of ●Smoked salmon (slices).
- You need 1/2 of of one ●Cucumbers.
- You need 1 of egg's worth ●Tamagoyaki.
- You need 1/2 stick of ●Eel kababyaki.
- You need 1 of ●Sushi rice.
- You need 1 of sheet ●Nori seaweed.
- Prepare 1 of ●White roasted sesame seeds.
- It’s 1 of ●Wasabi.
- Prepare 1 of ●Mayonnaise.
- It’s 1 of ●Salmon roe (optional).
Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal. You can use real or imitation crab.
California Rolls instructions
- Remove the avocado's pit and skin, cut into half vertically, then make 5 mm thick quarter round slices..
- Make a tamagoyaki omelette, then cut into 1 cm wide strips. Cut the cucumber in half horizontally. Remove the skewer from the eel and slice into 1 cm wide..
- Spread the sushi rice out over the nori, then top with white sesame. Flip everything over. Top the nori with the salmon, egg, cucumber, and eel, then roll it up..
- Line the sushi rolling mat with plastic wrap, then lay out the avocado slices. Align them diagonally. Hide the seams of the rolls from Step 3 with avocado slices..
- Leaving the plastic wrap on, cut the sushi into bite-sized pieces. Mix the wasabi and mayonnaise together and drizzle onto a plate, then place the sushi pieces on top..
- Garnish with salmon roe to finish..
California Rolls – American-Style Sushi Rolls. Making California Rolls at home is easy to do. I did a large amount of reading on how to make sushi rolls before attempting my first ones. The origin of the California roll is highly debatable. Some say it was invented in Los Angeles, while others claim it was actually invented in Canada.