California Rolls. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado.
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Doing A Give Away (Free Sushi Knife!)- All you Have to do Is Subscribe, Like and comment saying done! How to make delicious California rolls. You can have California Rolls using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of California Rolls
- You need 540 ml of White rice.
- It’s of Sushi vinegar.
- You need 4 1/2 tbsp of ┌Rice Vinegar.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of │Sugar.
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp of └Salt.
- You need 2 of Avocado.
- Prepare 20 of Imitation crab sticks.
- Prepare 1 of Toasted sesame seeds.
- It’s 4 of sheets Toasted nori.
- You need 1 of Soy sauce (wasabi soy sauce).
Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal. You can use real or imitation crab.
California Rolls instructions
- <For the sushi rice> Heat vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil to dissolve the sugar and salt..
- Once the rice is cooked, lightly mix it in the rice cooker and mix in the sushi vinegar while it is still warm..
- Mix the rice with a slicing motion, being sure not to crush the grains. Use a fan to dispel the steam and bring out the luster of the rice..
- Peel the avocado, remove the pit, and slice lengthwise into 8 slices..
- Cut the nori sheets in half..
- Cover the nori sheet evenly with rice and flip over. Form 2 rows of avocado and crab meat. Roll using a sushi rolling mat covered in plastic wrap. Stop rolling 1 cm away from the end and press firmly. Then finish rolling..
- Sprinkle sesame seeds..
- Using a moistened knife, slice into 6 pieces. Don't press down, pull the knife back toward you in a sawing motion as you slice. Its easier to cut if you use a good sharp knife and moisten it slightly. However, I used a moist serrated knife, like the kind you use to slice bread. It slices cleanly..
- Season with soy sauce or wasabi soy sauce if you like..
California Rolls – American-Style Sushi Rolls. Making California Rolls at home is easy to do. I did a large amount of reading on how to make sushi rolls before attempting my first ones. The origin of the California roll is highly debatable. Some say it was invented in Los Angeles, while others claim it was actually invented in Canada.