California Roll. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Vegan Roll With A Twist – How To Make Sushi Series.
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado. Although I prefer using real crab meat, if you don't have access to fresh seafood, imitation crab (a.k.a. surimi) will do in a pinch. You can have California Roll using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of California Roll
- Prepare 1/2 of Avocado.
- Prepare 20 of cm long x 1 cm x 1 cm piece Fresh salmon.
- Prepare 1/4 of Cucumber.
- It’s 180 ml of uncooked Sushi rice.
- Prepare 1 of sheet Nori seaweed.
- You need 1 of Flying fish roe or white sesame seeds.
- It’s 1 dash of Lemon juice.
- Prepare 1 of Mayonnaise.
Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal. You can use real or imitation crab.
California Roll instructions
- Slice the avocado, salmon, and cucumber into thin strips that fit the length of the nori seaweed. Sprinkle the avocado with lemon juice. Make the sushi rice..
- Put a sheet of plastic wrap on your work surface. Put the nori seaweed sheet on top, and cover with sushi rice, leaving a 1 cm gap at the top. The sushi rice should be about 0.5 cm thick all over..
- Flip the nori and rice over, still on the plastic wrap. Put the cut up ingredients from step 1 on the near edge of the nori..
- Roll tightly, being careful not to roll in the plastic wrap..
- When it's tightly rolled up, place it seam side down and press evenly all around to even out the shape..
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes to firm up the roll. Sprinkle the surface evenly with flying fish roe or sesame seeds, cut into easy to eat pieces, and it's done..
- You can use colorful raw tuna or tamagoyaki (sweetened omelette) instead of the salmon!.
Cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap. Cut nori sheets in half crosswise. California roll is one of the most popular sushi recipes in the United States. It's a real Japanese sushi roll with sushi rice wrapped with nori (seaweed) and stuffed with cooked imitation crab meat (or real. The History of the California Roll.