California Roll. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Vegan Roll With A Twist – How To Make Sushi Series.
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado. Although I prefer using real crab meat, if you don't have access to fresh seafood, imitation crab (a.k.a. surimi) will do in a pinch. You can have California Roll using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of California Roll
- You need 360 ml of Plain cooked rice.
- You need of For the sushi vinegar:.
- You need 50 ml of Rice vinegar.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Salt.
- Prepare of Main ingredients:.
- It’s 1/3 of Cucumber.
- Prepare 1/2 of Avocado.
- Prepare 3 of Imitation crab sticks.
- It’s 1 of Egg.
- You need 1 of Mayonnaise.
- Prepare 2 of sheets Toasted nori seaweed (whole sheet).
- You need 1 of White sesame seeds.
Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal. You can use real or imitation crab.
California Roll instructions
- Mix the sushi vinegar ingredients with freshly cooked hot rice, using a cutting motion. Fan the rice as you mix it to cool it faster and make it shiny..
- Make a tamagoyaki (rolled omelette). Cool and cut into 1 cm wide slices..
- Julienne the carrot. Cut the avocado into 1 cm wide slices. Cut the crab sticks into half lengthwise..
- Put the nori seaweed on a sushi rolling mat. Spread half the rice on top of the nori seaweed, and sprinkle the whole surface with sesame seeds..
- Put a piece of plastic wrap over the rice, and turn the whole thing over so that the nori side is on top..
- Put some mayonnaise on the front edge of the nori seaweed, and put on some of the avocado, cucumber and crab stick..
- Roll up the whole thing using the plastic wrap and the sushi mat. When it's rolled up, press lightly to even it out. Make another one in the same way..
- How to cut the rolls: Place the cut side down. Wet a knife lightly, and cut the roll by moving the knife back and forth..
Cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap. Cut nori sheets in half crosswise. California roll is one of the most popular sushi recipes in the United States. It's a real Japanese sushi roll with sushi rice wrapped with nori (seaweed) and stuffed with cooked imitation crab meat (or real. The History of the California Roll.