California Roll. A California roll or California maki is a makizushi sushi roll that is usually rolled inside-out, and containing cucumber, crab or imitation crab, and avocado. Sometimes crab salad is substituted for the crab stick, and often the outer layer of rice in an inside-out roll (uramaki). Snoop Dogg – California Roll (Live on the Honda Stage at the iHeartRadio Theater LA).
Learn how to make this popular sushi roll that is filled with fresh avocado, crab meat and Japanese mayo. Most versions of California Roll include crab and avocado. Although I prefer using real crab meat, if you don't have access to fresh seafood, imitation crab (a.k.a. surimi) will do in a pinch. You can have California Roll using 16 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of California Roll
- Prepare 3 stick of crab, quartered length wise.
- It’s 1/4 of cucumber, peeled, quartered length wise.
- It’s 1/2 of mango, peeled, cut into 12 sticks.
- It’s 1 of avocado, peeled, cut into 8 slices.
- It’s 3 of sheets of nori (seaweed).
- You need 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, toasted.
- It’s 1 tbsp of black sesame seeds, toasted.
- It’s of Rice.
- You need 1 cup of sushi rice, rinsed thoroughly.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of rice wine vinegar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of sugar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s of Tezu.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of water.
- It’s 2 tsp of rice wine vinegar.
Cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap. Cut nori sheets in half crosswise. A California roll is a fresh take on traditional Japanese rice rolls. Filled with avocado, crab, and cucumber, it's fresh and crunchy and makes a filling meal.
California Roll instructions
- Bring rice and water to a boil uncovered. Then lower heat and cover and cook for 15 minutes. Then remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes..
- Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Place rice in a mixing bowl and pour vinegar mixture over rice. Mix well so that all the rice gets mixed. Then let rice cool before rolling sushi..
- Mix tezu ingredients together in small bowl..
- On sushi roller, place sheet of nori shiny side down. Place about a cup of rice on nori. Dip fingers in tezu mixture so rice does not stick to fingers. Using fingers, spread rice to all four corners..
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on rice..
- Flip nori around. Lay crab, mango, cucumber and avocado lengthwise in the front of nori. Then roll..
- Cut roll into 8 pieces..
- Repeat to make two more rolls..
You can use real or imitation crab. Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side. A California roll is a creative American twist on sushi. This page will describe the California Uramaki. Uramaki has nori or seaweed on the inside and the rice on the outside, as opposed to a regular sushi.