Temari sushi (sushi balls). How to make temari sushi〜bite-size sushi balls〜. Kitchen Princess Bamboo: Japanese Everyday Food. This post may contain affiliate links.
Temari sushi – 手まり寿司 – or temarizushi – are round balls of sushi rice topped decoratively with ingredients like sashimi, vegetables, seaweed sheets and fish roe. Typically molded onto the iconic round shape using plastic wrap, they can be garnished as elaborately or as simply as you'd like. Temarizushi, or Temari sushi, are small and ball-shaped sushi. You can have Temari sushi (sushi balls) using 3 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Temari sushi (sushi balls)
- It’s 2 cups of cooked white rice (sushi rice).
- Prepare 4 tbsp of sushinoko powder.
- Prepare of Toppings (grilled zucchini, avocado + smoked salmon).
Temari (literally means "hand ball" in English) is a traditional Japanese embroidered ball, which people used to play within Japan. Temari (colorful ball) sushi is an easy way of making nigiri sushi at home. You can use any toppings you like. Unwrap the ball, and you have a piece of temari sushi!
Temari sushi (sushi balls) step by step
- Add sushinoko powder to cooked rice while still warm. Mix well and let it cool. (Sushinoko powder – powdered sushi flavoring bought at Mitsuwa supermarket, Japanese store in San Jose).
- Prepare toppings. <Grilled zucchini> Slice zucchini and grill them as desired. Olive oil is a nice touch when grilling. Gently salted and peppered. Completely cooled before making sushi balls. <Avocado + smoked salmon> Peel avocado skin and take pit out, and mash them. Add drops of lemon juice to avoid avocado getting brown and salt mashed avocado (just a hint). Cut smoked salmon in small pieces..
- Spread Saran Wrap (or a similar product) over palm (about twice as big as your palm). Place a topping right in the middle. Place 2 tbsp of flavored rice on top, and wrap it to a size of golf ball..
- FYI – Sweet sour sushi rice is usually made with cooked white rice mixed with vinegar, sugar, salt (+ konbu, a type of sea weed). I personally like using Sushinoko powder to avoid rice getting too wet. Specially, it’s easy!.
- FYI – Temari means Japanese traditional handballs..
- FYI – Toppings are usually (traditionally) sashimi fish. But you could try anything you like – cooked meat, pickled veggies, corned beef, ham, SPAM, cooked egg etc. Try your ideas and let me what you liked!!.
To make the sushi, place a sheet of plastic wrap on your work surface. Put your sushi ingredient in the center and dab a little Combine rice vinegar, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Mix this in with hot cooked rice and set aside. Create picture-perfect sushi for any occasion with this delightful and easy temari sushi recipe. Temari are Japanese thread balls, made by winding colourful thread around and around into ball shapes with different Enjoy this sushi as a main meal, as part of a bento box, or serve as an appetiser at a party.