Sushi Rice (Shari, Sumeshi, Sushimeshi). When the rice is formed into a small oval shape for Nigiri, it is then called "シャリ Shari". How To Cook Sushi Rice & Prepare Sushi Rice Vinegar. Hiroyuki Terada – Diaries of a Master Sushi Chef.
For that you will need a good recipe and some care. They even made a special rice for sushi, they call it "Shari", some folks simply call it "sushi rice". And they even took the time and effort to make it round, so that you can find it easily in the supermarket. You can cook Sushi Rice (Shari, Sumeshi, Sushimeshi) using 4 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sushi Rice (Shari, Sumeshi, Sushimeshi)
- Prepare 2 of gou (=360ml or 300g) Short grain rice (turn into approx. 1.5 lb Sushi Rice).
- Prepare 3-4 tbsps of Rice vinegar or White wine vinegar.
- It’s 2 tbsps of Sugar.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Salt.
The key factor is the 'shari' itself, as well as fish (sashimi) quality. Head this way » Note: konbu is dried Japanese sea kelp. It is available in any Japanese supermarket. Look for pieces that are wide and flat with a distinct powdery white deposit on the..
Sushi Rice (Shari, Sumeshi, Sushimeshi) instructions
- Put the rice into a bowl and pour cold water. Shape your hand like holing a tennis ball then rinse the rice drawing circles gently but quickly 10 times. Dispose the water. Repeat 4-5 times until the water gets semitransparent. Drain with the strainer..
- A tip: Some decades ago, they said you had to wash or scrub the rice to remove the smell. But because of development of rice-milling technology today, it's recommended to rinse it gently. If not, grains are likely to chip and run gooey after steam. Rice for Sushi must be cooked slightly harder than normal steamed rice..
- Put rinsed rice into the rice cooker and pour 400ml water. Or follow the scale inside if yours has it. Cook as usual, or if there's a menu for Sushi rice, you might be able to try to use it I haven't use this function ever though:).
- When the rice is done, swiftly add sugar, vinegar and salt on the rice and mix well. Not to crush the individual grains while mixing. Spread the seasoned rice onto a plate to cool down. If possible please fan to cook faster, so that the sushi rice gets shining..
- Just for your reference… the dinner of the day. Futo-maki sushi with this rice, Chilled tofu, Simmered squash with minced pork, Pea-tip salad..
Japanse rice properly, perfect sushi rice, called sushimeshi (すし飯) or shari (しゃり). Sushi rice is what makes sushi sushi – the topppings and things mixed in are Sushi rice step by step. Here is another tip from my mother: as long as the rice is piping hot, there's no need to heat up the vinegar. Homemade sushi rice recipe, simple instructions on how to make sushi rice with dashi kombu, sushi vinegar, sugar, and salt. Once you've mastered perfectly seasoned and fluffy sushi rice, your sushi tastes much better.